Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Electric S-10

So for the longest time I've wanted an electric vehicle. Why? First, the only reoccurring cost for me is maintenance since I get a flat rate for electricity. Second, I might be able to get a government incentive for driving a ZEV. Third, electrics make this faint high pitched tone which just sounds cool. Lastly, I can drop the hammer and not feel guilty for using a ton of gas. I've thought about converting my dad's '95 Ranger if the engine ever dies, but I don't really like the look of the Ranger, and I know someone who has a '92 S-10 that has engine problems. So I might be able to convince her into trading me the truck for some work. Now on to the reasons I picked a truck to convert. I like trucks, there's a possibility that I can get one really easily, they have a full bed to store batteries (like at least 4 batterypacks from a prius), and they are RWD so the weight of the batteries will help with traction a lot. Now before I made this post, I mentioned this idea to a friend and she's like, you'll loose the ability to use it as a pickup. Well not necessarily, just becasuse I have the room for loads of batteries doesn't mean I have the money for it. And besides, even if I did fill the whole bed, I could always cover it with a large piece of wood and than put a cap on top of that to stop stuff from sliding off. Besides, I rarely use the bed for much anyway. I'd like to give you some drawlings, but I can't get my scanner to work atm.

3 comments:

  1. scan it when u get it fixed! how are u going to fix whatever the engine problems actually are?

    ReplyDelete
  2. the fact that it has engine problems doesn't matter because it won't need one after the conversion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yeah, forgot this in the last comment. my scanner is fine, the problem is that my mac doesn't come with any software to do scans, so I'm going to have to track some down.

    ReplyDelete