Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Car Battery

So a few weeks ago, my mom was picking her car up from the dealership after some repairs needed after being rear ended. At first it didn't start because they let it run down by starting it all the time and never leaving it on long enough to let the battery charge. It takes several minutes of run time to recover the energy used in starting, and that's never going to happen when it's started just to move a few feet and then immediately shut down. When the service guy came out to jump it, he said the the battery was reaching the end of it's life and my mom is the type to go ahead and get a new battery before stuff gets really bad. And of course my dad is whining up a storm about how I don't need a battery and how it's going to be a pain to get rid of if we don't give it to the place where we got the new battery. Fast forward to today, the ignition in the truck is weird and sometimes thinks the key is still in and therefore plays that "you left the keys in the ignition dummy" tone. Well it's the same tone as the "headlights on and door open" tone and my dad forgot about it and left the lights on so the battery ran down so low that even the computer stopped working properly. So when I used the old van battery to start the truck, I got to rub it in his face about how epic I am for keeping it around.

tl;dr My mom's van has a new battery, I have a spare battery with a good bit of life left on it, and I used said spare battery to save my dad's sorry butt.

No comments:

Post a Comment